The Place de la Concorde is one of the major squares in Paris, France. It is located at the eastern end of the Champs Elysée.
It was built by architect Jacques-Ange Gabriel in 1763 to celebrate the glory of the then almighty king Louis XV, it saw the beheading of his successor and grandson Louis XVI on January 21st 1793 during the French revolution.
The center of the Place is occupied by a giant Egyptian obelisk decorated with hieroglyphics exalting the reign of the pharaoh Ramses II. It once marked the entrance to the Luxor Temple. The viceroy of Egypt, Mehemet Ali, offered the 3,300-year-old Luxor Obelisk to France in 1831.