This is a district of Champs Elysees. It is popular among the tourists who like to relax actively. On the most famous avenue in the world you’ll find everything: shops, cinemas, theaters, music halls, circuses, cafes and restaurants, pavilions, fountains, bronze lamps, luxury mansions… It is always noisy, crowded, and light in the evenings, cafes work late, so that you can eat even at four o’clock in the morning. The main sights of this area – Arc de Triomphe, Place de la Concorde, Champs-Elysées gardens, Grand Palais and Petit Palais, Cabaret Lido. But such sights as Louvre, Notre Dame, d’Orsay, Grand Opera are rather far from here.
Place de la conrorde
The Place de la Concorde is one of the major squares in Paris, France. It is located at the eastern end of the Champs Elysée. It was built by architect Jacques-Ange Gabriel in 1763 to celebrate the glory of the then almighty king Louis XV, it saw the beheading of his successor and grandson Louis XVI on January 21st 1793 during the French revolution. The center of the Place is occupied by a giant Egyptian obelisk decorated with hieroglyphics exalting the reign of the pharaoh Ramses II. It once marked the entrance to the Luxor Temple. The viceroy of Egypt, Mehemet Ali, offered the 3,300-year-old Luxor Obelisk to France in 1831.
With its marked humpback, the Pont Royal (Royal Bridge), remains, with the Pont Neuf (New Bridge), one of the three oldest bridges in Paris. It is listed as a historical monument. It is probably the only bridge in Paris that was not required to link the various districts of the city. None of the roads to which it leads are a direct continuation of the bridge. On the Right Bank, the bridge meets the Pavillon Flore (Flore Pavilion) and only reaches the Avenue du General Lemonnier after a twisting route. On the Left Bank, the same occurs with the Rue du Bac and the Rue de Beaune. A ferry used to link the two banks of the Seine. In 1632, Barbier built the first wooden bridge also called Saint-Anne, but which the people nicknamed the Pont Rouge (Red Bridge) because of its colour. This wooden bridge, for pedestrians and horseriders, who paid a double toll like many others, was burnt down and washed away by the river. After being replaced by a stone structure between 1685 and 1689, under the aegis of Jacques Gabriel, Jules Hardouin-Mansart and Pere Romain, the Pont Royal (Royal Bridge) was entirely financed by Louis XIV. Hence its name. In the 18th century, big Parisian festivals and celebrations were held here. The nautical festival held on the occasion of the marriage of Elisabeth of France and the Infante Philip of Spain attracted 500,000 people to the banks and bridges. The Pont Royal (Royal Bridge) impressively frames the view of the Bassin du Louvre (Louvre Basin), until then open to the West. It was on this bridge – called National from 1792 to 1804 – that Bonaparte placed the cannons used for the defence of the Tuileries where the Convention and the Comite de Salut Public (Committee of Public Safety) used to sit. On the last stretch of each bank the water level marker that showed the historic low- and high-water marks can be seen. The Mairie de Paris (Paris Town Hall) has decided on major renovation works which will be carried out over a number of years.
Palais Elysees is the official residence of the President of the French Republic, where the president’s office is located, and the Council of Ministers meets. The Elysee has large gardens, in which the president hosts a party on the afternoon of Bastille Day. The architect Armand-Claude Mollet possessed a property fronting on the road to the village of Roule, west of Paris (now the Rue de Faubourg Saint-Honoré), and backing onto royal property, the Grand Cours through the Champs-Élysées. He sold this in 1718 to Henri-Louis de la Tour d’Auvergne, comte d’Évreux, with the agreement that Mollet would construct an hôtel particulier for the count, fronted by an entrance court and backed by a garden. The Hôtel d’Évreux was finished and decorated by 1722, and though it has undergone many modifications since, it remains a fine example of classic Régence style.
Pont Alexandre III
Pont Alexandre III is an arch bridge that spans the Seine, connecting the Champs-Élysées quarter and the Invalides and Eiffel Tower Quarter. Most people consider the Pont Alexandre III the most beautiful bridge in Paris.
Construction of the bridge, designed by the architects Resal and Alby, took almost 3 years. It was first prefabricated in a factory and later transported and assembled by a large crane. One of the requirements for the bridge was that it should not obstruct the view on the Invalides and Champs-Élysées This resulted in a very low 40 meters wide bridge with a single 107.5 meters long span and a height of only 6 meters.