The Field of Mars is not only one large opened garden, a great green place which extent towards the Eiffel tower. It is also one of the places of Paris which changed the most during its history considering the diversity of events which were created there.
At the beginning, it is a beautiful planted plain which belonged to the two abbeys of St Germain des pres and Ste Genevieve.
During the construction of the Military academy, the plain was used to store the materials which arrived by the Seine.
July 5, 1769, the king Louis XV came to pass the first review. The public sat down on estrades supported on the earthworks. The Field of Mars had become a vast arena surrounded by monticules which was very well adapted for military demonstrations.
During the French Revolution, the Champ de Mars was the setting of the Fête de la Fédération, on the 14 July 1790. It was also the setting of a massacre on July 17, 1791, when a crowd collected to draft a petition seeking the removal of King Louis XVI. This happened just days after the second anniversary of the storming of the Bastille. Soldiers under the orders of the mayor Jean-Sylvain Bailly and the Marquis de Lafayette opened fire.