Parc Monceau is a public park situated at the junction of Boulevard de Courcelles, Rue de Prony and Rue Georges Berger.
The park was established by Phillippe d’Orl&eans, Duke of Chartres, a cousin of the king. He started buying land on which to establish the garden in 1769, and employed Louis Carrogis Carmontelle to design the gardens.
The park is unusual in France due to its “English” style: its informal layout, curved walkways and randomly-placed statues distinguish it from the more traditional, French-style garden.
During the French revolution of 1793 the Duke was executed by guillotine, and the garden was taken into public ownership. The Farmer’s General Enclosure of Paris surrounded the park. At this time, the rotunda (At the main entrance) was built by Claude Nicolas Ledoux.