Canal St Martin

Canal St Martin stretches from the Square Frédérick Lemaitre to the Rue Lafâyette and shortcuts a long loop in the River Seine on the eastern side of Paris.

The canal was opened in 1825 after Napoleon had ordered the artificial waterway dug to supply Paris with water, however by the 1960s, traffic had dwindled to a trickle and the canal narrowly escaped being filled in and paved over for a highway.

Today, the canal is a popular destination for Parisians and tourists who watch the barges navigate the series of locks and road bridges.