Walking down Rue Saint-Jacques or the bridge on the Cite Island, you can see a sufficiently gloomy building rising above a small public garden. It’s difficult to believe, but this is one the most legendary constructions in Paris, and its name is Saint-Jacques tower (Tour Saint-Jacques).
The tower, built in the beginning of the 16th century in a late Gothic style, is not just a monument of architecture, the Saint-Jacques is the history itself. It contains the famous French art, music, science, poetry and prose, blood of the Revolution…
Today this is a lonely belfry which was a part of Paris Eglise Saint Jacques-de-la-Boucherie (Curch of Saint Jacob). In olden days the temple covered almost all territory of the present public garden.
Historical name of the church has a word “Boucherie” (Fr. “butcher’s shop”), what is not strange, because the apartments and shops of Paris tanners and butchers were in this area of the city. And exactly those people gave their money for building of this temple. Though, an ancient legend says that its founder was Charles the Great (Carolus Magnus).
The Eglise Saint Jacques-de-la-Boucherie was destroyed during the French Revolution in 1793, and the tower alone had being reminded about its existence.
It’s notable that the park, laid out near the bell tower, is the first public garden in the history of Paris.
The belfry is one of 70 points of pilgrimage to a Christian sacred place Santiago de Compostela and a part of the list of the World Heritage by UNESCO.
Saint-Jacques tower is in the very center of Paris just in 150 meters from the City Hall (Hotel de Ville). This area is a beautiful historic quarter of the French capital with many sights.
Address: 39 Rue Rivoli, Paris.