So far as our site is dedicated to Paris we would like to white some words about a museum, which has a collection of exhibits telling directly on this glorious and famous European city. The Museum of Parisian history is called the Carnavalet museum. And this article is about this interesting sight of Paris.
The famous museum is located in an old mansion with the same name, and its exposition consists of as art as historical collections. Also we must remember that this old building is a bright example of architectural art, because its author was the famous French architect, creator of the majestic Louvre – Pierre Lescot. Today the house is the Carnavalet museum, but initially it was built for one of chairmen of the Supreme Court of France of the sixteenth century Mr. de Lineris.
Walls of the house are decorated with numerous sculptures, among which we can mark out four finest figures of women, representing different seasons of the year, by a classic artist Monsieur Jean Goujon, who always worked with Lescot on large projects.
At the end of the sixteenth century the building passed into the ownership of a widow from Breton madam de Kerneven. And the Parisians quickly began to call her as Carnavalet.
Years were passing, the owners of the building were changed, but the name of the mansion had remained unchanged. Since the French Revolution the mansion was a residence for various official agencies, while in 1866 the French government had decided to buy it for a museum.
Unveiling of the first exhibitions at the Museum of Parisian history took place in 1880 and its first director was Jules Cousin – the famous French scientist, traveler and collector of that time. The basis of presented to visitors exposition was his own collection, as well as the rich collection of the exhibit on the history of the French Revolution.
With the course of time the exposition of the Museum of Parisian history grew, adding many rare exhibits: engravings and documents, paintings and sculptures, household utensils. All of that were donations, purchases or archaeological findings.
Specialized halls were opened for lovers of the topography, for lovers of theatrical art – their own, a place for household items, old city signboards and a lot different things was also provided. In the late eighties of XX century the museum received an old mansion de Saint-Fargo for placing of its numerous exhibits.
Today the Carnavalet museum is the largest museum dedicated to the history of French capital, since a small village on the island of Cite in the middle of Seine to our days.
Expositions of the museum attract very different people with all sorts of interests, and everyone finds something similar here. You will find here the historical materials about architecture of Paris, crafts and decorative arts, information about famous people of the country, their great and magnificent palaces and estates. Thanks to this visitors can visualize life of the Parisians in different periods.